||Masterstudium Bioinformatics 2013W
||This practical course complements the lecture "Machine Learning: Unsupervised Techniques" and aims at practicing the concepts and methods acquired in the lecture.
- Error models
- Information bottleneck
- Maximum likelihood and the expectation maximization algorithm
- Maximum entropy methods
- Basic clustering methods, hierarchical clustering, and affinity propagation
- Mixture models
- Principal component analysis, independent component analysis, and other
- Factor analysis
- Matrix factorization
- Auto-associator networks and attractor networks
- Boltzmann and Helmholtz machines
- Hidden Markov models
- Belief networks
- Factor graphs
||Marking is based on homework
||Students are given assignments in 1-2 week intervals. Homework must be handed in. Results are to be presented and discussed in the course.
||Assignments and homework submissions are managed via JKU Moodle.
Where necessary, complimentary course material is provided for download.
||in collaboration with 675MLDAMSTU13: UE Machine Learning: Supervised Techniques (1,5 ECTS) equivalent to
875BIN2TMLU12: UE Theoretical Bioinformatics and Machine Learning (3 ECTS) -or- BIMPHUEBIN2: UE Bioinformatik II: Theoretische Bioinformatik und Maschinelles Lernen (3 ECTS)